Wednesday 13 February 2013

1970s Advertising

Geoff bought Palmolive Gold soap at the supermarket. (He should not be allowed to enter supermarkets unsupervised. I think he really believes Wagon Wheels are in one of the major food groups required for essential daily nutrition.) And it sparked my memory for some highly questionable advertising in the 1970s. If you're old enough do you remember the soap's jingle with people sniffing arm pits?

Don't wait to be told, you need Palmolive Gold!

Promoted to imply it had some kind of BO mitigating properties, in an era where nylon and polyester were fabric du jour, I don't think an overly perfumed soap was really going to cut it. Unless you were showing half hourly. Even a cloud of the now familiar Lynx would be hard pressed to mask that special odour. Perhaps anti-perspirant may have been a better idea.

And then that got me thinking about Scorched Peanut bar, the hard bar. I had a look on YouTube and I found it!!! I remember this when I was a kid. We thought it was hilarious. (Actually, I still do...)



And what about Give you man's meat a treat, spread the Leggo's!

I didn't locate that gem, but I did find this from the Gruen Transfer website.
Apparently there was an ad for Leggos pasta sauces back in the 70s, where the wife is in the kitchen and she says:
"When your man's come home from a rough day at work, open up your 'Leggos' and give his meat a treat!"
It was only shown a few times before the ad was pulled.
Is this an urban myth, or can you show it on the next show? :D



It wasn't an urban myth. I saw it with my own eyes. Seriously, the 1970s was not a time renowned for its political correctness.

And finally Salvital. I can't locate that one either, but don't worry, I've wasted some precious memory on that jingle too:
Little housewife, has such a hard life,
Worn out before her man gets hooooo-o-ome
So they gave her, a glass of Salvital,
Now he's afraid to come home alone (as wife grabs husband by the tie and drags him into the house to presumably have her way with him.)

I've worked in big advertising agencies for 25 years until Mandy and I started our own business nearly a year ago. The late 80s when I started were a far cry from the far more austere 90s and rapidly changing dynamics of the new millenium. But I really think the 70s was a whole different paradigm (see, proof that I work in advertising, I use ridiculous words like 'paradigm'). Funny in retrospect yes, but I'm sure the women of the era working at those agencies didn't find it nearly so fun.

And by the way, Palmolive Gold still smells dreadful.

Do you remember these ads? Any other pearls I've missed?






9 comments:

JayBee said...

At my age I find it easier to remember when I was a kid and the only advertising was on packaging and the RADIO!!!!!!!! When did Malboro Man kick in? - I remember him.....

Mother Who Works said...

Thanks JayBee - others have tried to comment and failed again!! This is really driving me crazy - I'll be emailing Blogger. My mate Chris wanted to draw everyone's attention to the Cadbury Flake ad of the era - no other choclate does it quite like Flake does it - or words to that effect with a girl in a virginal white dress dipping her finger into the crumbs of chocolate and suggestively sucking it off (yes... that wording was deliberate!) MWWx

SympathetiC said...

I wouldn't have described it so vividly, Sue. But, yeah.

Mother Who Works said...

Oh there you are C! Well you know what happens when things are left to me to describe!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, yes this article is in fact pleasant and I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.
thanks.

Also visit my website: thigh exercises at home

Anonymous said...

I got this web site from my friend who old mee concerning
this website and at the moment this time I am visiting this website and reading
very informagive posts here.

My blog poswt :: legitimate online jobs for stay san antonio work at

Anonymous said...

Ӏt's vеry trouble-free to find out any matter ߋn web as comparеd to books, as I found this pоst at this site.


My webpaցе; pod zyrafa

Anonymous said...

Yes I remember Palmolive gold, but also the cheesy fake Caribbean themed one for soap called Lime Fresh! Where the guy with the Afro hairdo screamed out ' Leah-me fresh' hysterical but memorable which wa what the advertiser wanted I guess

Mother Who Works said...

True Anon - memorable yes, but good? I'm less sure. MWWx

Camping People - 2022

I'm over camping. Geoff says it's because it rained and I got a shocking cold, and I should stop being such a Debbie Downer. That co...